Monday, March 30, 2020

Journal of a Plague Year, Friday, March 13

I live in what might be called Española’s exurbia, the surrounding area that’s essentially rural residential strip development. Because I live on a curve, my mail box was periodically destroyed, and I got a PO box years ago. Now, I generally go into town twice a week to get my mail and run errands.

My next contact with Coronavirus was Friday the thirteenth. New Mexico had reported its first cases on Wednesday. By Thursday, five people were known to be sick: three from Albuquerque and two from Santa Fé. My knowledge was abstract.

I went to the post office, and stopped at a dollar store to buy some crackers. I wasn’t particularly surprised when it didn’t have any. It’s happened before.

I drove to a local grocery store to get them there. I didn’t think anything when no basket carts were available. It happens everywhere when someone doesn’t do his or her job of corraling carts in the parking lot.

The absence of a cart meant I didn’t buy anything more than the last boxes of crackers. The brand I prefer seems to be the only one that sells out.

It was only when I went to get in line that I realized something unusual was happening. Every checkout lane was in use, and every one had long lines.

I asked the person next to me if this 'dwas normal for a Friday.

It was then I was made aware that people were reacting to the fact our governor had announced on March 11 that the public schools would be closing on Monday.

The man said he worked at the hot springs in Ojo Caliente. They were still open, and people were still coming.

I'd heard the virus was airborne. I reasoned, if it is transmitted by sneezing, it must be living in moisture. However, a virus isn’t a bacteria. It’s not a plant or animal, but some more amorphous, more minute life form.

Everything I read said it wasn’t transmitted through public water supplies, which, of course, routinely are treated with a number of chemicals. A more scientific paper believed it lived longer in cooler, drier environments.

He said the spa had instituted a more intense cleaning regimen, but he still was worried about losing his job.

I must have stood in that line for half an hour - someone had some problem that stopped the flow for a while. I was thinking it was ironic that we were standing close together for an extended period of time to get groceries, when those were the very conditions that spread the virus.

The fourteen day incubation period for March 13 ended Friday, March 27. So far, so good.

However, the spa closed March 14. I hope the young man has been able to file for unemployment benefits under the new rules.

Sources: There’s now, Monday March 30, a Wikipedia entry for "2020 Coronavirus Pandemic in New Mexico."

No comments:

Post a Comment