Sunday, December 20, 2009

Cost of Staying Healthy

There are times when I think I’m the only one who cares if I remain healthy.

Once I start drawing social security, the actuaries know the sooner I die the less I draw from what I’ve contributed.

Insurance companies certainly don’t want me to stay healthy. If I never had another physical, I could have a heart attack or fall from weakened bones when I’m 75. It would cost someone to treat me, but I probably wouldn’t last long, and my total costs past age 65 will be relatively modest.

As it is, I insist of staying healthy. It turns out not to be a decision many can afford. This year it costs 21% of my gross and 27% of my actual take home pay. The percentages will be slightly smaller when I draw social security.

My health program is simple. An annual physical, which is not covered by today’s medicare part B, supported by blood work which may be covered. Every other year, I see the eye doctor, which is not covered by any insurance option, have a bone density test which is covered by medicare, and a mammogram, which currently is only 80% covered by the government and the rest by medigap J.

The prescription drugs I take are preventive, rather than life sustaining, and in that sense voluntary. In addition, I take vitamins for my bones, including calcium citrate, magnesium, and vitamin D, along with fish oil. They cost something like $30 a month.

I need exercise for my bones and to keep my cholesterol levels low. Only some medicare advantage programs cover the cost of a gym or wellness center. One I used was $30 a month, another $60. I tend to get bored by them, and keep promising myself I’ll do more on my own. Simple walking is supposed to be enough.

Diet is another factor. My preference for dried lentils, rice and frozen vegetables is relatively inexpensive. If I chose the recommended healthy diet with fresh fruits and vegetables, more meat and fish, my food costs would be more than I could afford.

I look at what I pay to stay healthy, and think about an Indian woman I worked with. For some reason, her husband, then in his early 30's, had undiagnosed diabetes. When he finally saw a doctor in August, he checked himself out of the hospital because his mother was ill. By Thanksgiving, he couldn’t walk. When his wife got him to the doctor, his organs were shutting down and nothing could be done. He died before Christmas, leaving two young children.

His death was costly to his family, but only cost insurance programs a few days in the hospital. It may be the ideal for a capitalist concern, but as a child of a diabetic I expect more for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment